Monday, May 16, 2011

Summer Reading

Our family LOVES books!  Princess would rather read than do just about anything else.  Super Tot isn't reading yet, but he loves to be read to and to just look at books.  That being said, we have no problem with getting in lots of summer reading.  

While we don't need any incentives to get our children reading, I always enjoy having a summer reading program, just for fun.  Ever since Princess was in Kindergarten, I have been doing Summer Reading Bingo with her.  I have used this Summer Reading Bingo incentive with various homeschool and church groups, as well as just at home.  It has always been a big hit with kids of all ages.  If you have younger children who are not yet reading, you can read to them!

I use the BINGO sheet shown below and have Princess fill it out with the book title and author as she finishes a book.  I have various levels of prize options, but she always fills out the whole card.  You can click on the BINGO card below and print it out to use with your own children.  I always print it out on a brightly colored piece of cardstock, so that it will last all summer.
Prize Examples:  
One horizontal, vertical or diagonal line = 1st level prize
Outer Border = 2nd level prize
Blackout = 3rd level prize

I like to keep the prizes simple, as I feel that reading all those books is the true prize.  Some of our past prizes have included an ice cream cone, movie tickets, a pizza date, a book store gift card and various special outings.  You can do whatever works best for your family!

Here are links to some corporate Summer Reading Programs available this year:


Build-A-Bear Workshop is supposed to be having a Summer Reading Program, but it is not up on their website yet.

Also, check your local library, as they always have fun Summer Reading Programs available.

I'm sure there are additional programs available in your local area, so be sure to check!  

Most of all, have fun reading over the summer!

Linking to:

Shibley SmilesTot School 

Photobucket


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the idea. I think I will print one of these off for each of my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are major readers here too. Cute incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! My kiddos are all grown up, but this would have been such fun with ours. We did the Pizza Hut Book-It program when they were in grade school. Reading is truly the reward without them even knowing it.

    Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
    The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

    Read today's post ...
    Ramble With Purpose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Bingo idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great way to get your children to explore a variety of books.

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of bingo reading! What a great idea :) I'm hoping my daughter enjoys reading as well!

    I'm a new follower from the Friday Blog Frog Hop!
    Please stop on by and follow me at http://www.mommydigger.com and say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea and just in time for summer reading! My son loves bingo; I've made him math bingo and when he was just beginning to read, sight word bingo (check out it out here: http://deceptivelyeducational.blogspot.com/2011/05/sight-word-bingo.html). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Due to recent spam activity, I have turned word verification OFF and comment moderation ON.