Sunday, February 20, 2011

Easter Story Eggs

I know it Easter is still a couple months away, but I love gathering my craft and ministry ideas well in advance, and I thought you might, too!  

A few years ago, my husband and I were teaching children's Sunday School and wanted to put together a fun Easter project for our class.  We thought this would be a simple project that the children could put together to use as a ministry opportunity in their communities.  I was inspired by a set of Resurrection Eggs that I have used both at home, as well as in Sunday School every year.  I wanted to provide the children with a tangible way to share the Easter story with others.  They each made two eggs - one to keep and one to give away.  

Supplies Needed:
Makes 1 dozen eggs

12 large plastic Easter eggs
12 pennies
Leather lacing cut into twelve 2-inch strips (available at craft stores)
12 nails - 1 1/2 inches long
12 small wooden crosses (available at craft stores)
12 dice
Scrap of linen or other fabric, cut into twelve 1 1/2 inch squares
12 small stones
Raffia ribbon
Glue dots
Click on the document below to download and print 2 copies onto cardstock
For our Sunday School class, I had separate bowls containing each item.  First, I showed the children a completed egg and told them the Easter story using the egg.  Each item in the egg is a tangible symbol of one part of the story.  These are listed on the card, along with scripture references.  

After hearing the story, it was time for them to make their own eggs.  We created an assembly line and each child went down the line and put their own eggs together, getting one of each item and putting it in their egg.  I had already cut out the cards and hole punched them, so they were able to do everything themselves, and very easily.  We used a single glue dot to hold the ribbon onto each egg.  The children went through the line twice (this was easier than doing 2 eggs at a time), so they ended up with their 2 eggs.    

Once the eggs were put together, we practiced telling the Easter story using the egg.  We also prayed over the eggs and talked about how the children could use their extra egg as a ministry opportunity.  

Some of them decided to leave them on neighbors' doorsteps.  Some wanted to give them to friends, teachers, or the homeless.  Others had family members who they wanted to share the Gospel of Christ with.  It was really neat to see each of them coming up with mission opportunities that worked for them, and to be so excited about sharing God's Truth with others.

We got such incredible feedback from the children, as well as their parents, after doing this project.  This is an activity that we will use every year, and I hope you will, too!

Please keep in mind that there are many methods of using the egg and symbols when sharing the Easter story.  Just remember that whatever is natural for you is the best way!

ENJOY!




8 comments:

  1. I like this idea! I'm going to do it with my kids. Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! So glad you shared it now so there is time to get it together. I'm a new follower through The Girl Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this idea!! I think I'll need to do this for my Sunday school girls! thanks so much for linking up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love this!

    We have done the resurrection eggs in our home for years. I love this neat idea to witness to other kiddos.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! We did this last year at my church and my kids loved it! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this! I also have, and enjoy, the Resurrection Eggs. We have also used our Resurrection Eggs at Christmas, to discuss how Christmas and Easter are related. That was a great activity for sharing with our unchurched family and friends over a casual Christmas supper last Christmas! Each child had one or two eggs to open in sequence, and we discussed the Easter and Christmas stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS--I shared your eggs on my pinterest traditions page: http://pinterest.com/pin/241294492505691119/

    ReplyDelete

Due to recent spam activity, I have turned word verification OFF and comment moderation ON.