Thursday, December 2, 2010

Library Pocket Advent Calendar


As I have mentioned in previous posts, I LOVE Christmas!  As a special way of leading up to Christmas Day, our family has set aside a special activity for each day of Advent.  We have used many formats for our Advent calendars/activities over the years.  This year, I decided to try something new. 

A friend of mine posted this idea on her Facebook wall, and I absolutely loved it.  Thank you Paula!  I had most of the supplies on hand, and headed straight out to get the rest.  Here is a quick tutorial for this fun and cute Library Pocket Advent Calendar.

Supplies
25 Library Pockets (I used Red and Green) - available at teacher supply stores or here.
Scrapbook Paper
Cardstock
1" Book Ring
Ribbon
Number Stamps & Ink Pad
Scissors or Cutting Tools
Hole Punch
Printer
Scrapbook Adhesive, Double Stick Tape or Glue
Hook (I used a Command Hook)



To begin, cut circles out of your scrapbook paper.  


Glue or adhesive the circle to a contrasting print and cut a square that is slightly larger than the circle.


Punch out or cut a smaller circle out of solid paper or cardstock.


Glue or adhesive the smaller circle on top of the larger one.


Glue or adhesive the entire square to the front (pocket side) of the Library Pocket.


Next, prepare your stamp with the # you will be using.  I prefer acrylic stamps to rubber because you can see what you are doing.  Stamp your # in the center of the smaller circle.





Punch a hole in the upper left corner.  You might want to do this step all together so the holes are all lined up.


Use a 1" book ring to hold the pockets in place.



Next, print off your activities for each day.  I print mine onto white cardstock and use red and green ink.  The cards should measure approximately 3.25" by 4.25" to fit nicely into the pockets.  Cut them out and place them into the pockets.  You can download and print the activities we use by clicking on the document below:



Finish off with a bow and hang!  I pull off the pocket at the end of each day and move it to the back so that the new one is in front.  



9 comments:

  1. I love this idea- especially the idea of putting in an activity rather than a little trinket every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and love the colors as well. I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you get the library pockets, please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Library Pockets are available at teacher supply stores. If you click on the link to "Library Pockets" in the supply list, it will take you to an online store that sells them, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. That is SO cute. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I just tried to download your activities to use this year, but I was not able to. Is this still available?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy, we are in the middle of moving right now. If you can wait, I will get the link working again in a couple weeks. I apologize for the non-working link!

    ReplyDelete

Due to recent spam activity, I have turned word verification OFF and comment moderation ON.